WHO CAN PARTICIPATE? Anyone that can wear a costume
WHAT IS IT? A costume contest
WHEN? Saturday, October 13, during Falls Library Comic Fest
- Registration: 10:00 – 11:30 AM
- Costume Parade & Awards: 11:45 AM –12:15 PM
WHERE? Menomonee Falls Public Library
WHY? Why not?
- This is a family-friendly event. Do not show too much skin, or anything inappropriate. If it’s questionable, don’t wear it.
- Weapons must be obviously fake. Final decision will be made by staff.
- Be awesome to each other. Don’t harass other cosplayers, even if it’s in character.
- Cosplay is not consent. Do not touch another person or take their picture without permission.
- General library rules still apply:
- Footwear must be worn at all times.
- Anything with wheels (except wheelchairs, strollers or wagons) is not allowed in the building. This includes skateboards, scooters, bicycles, etc.
To participate in the Cosplay Contest, stop by Registration in the lobby between 10:00 – 11:30 AM during Falls Library Comic Fest, Saturday, October 13. Fill out a registration form and have two photos taken. These photos will be used by our judges to pre-judge their favorites. Choose your poses carefully. Participants may be moved to a different level at the judges’ discretion.
Master – Adult/Teens 12 Years or Older
Costumes from all types of media (books, comic books, video games, anime, movies, television, etc.) Mashups and original designs/characters are permitted.
Entrants are required to:
- Have made the costume (little or no assistance from another party). Costumes purchased, rented, made for you be a professional designer or seamstress do not qualify for this category.
- Hand or machine stitch/handcraft, cobble together or modify at least 50% of the costume (no more than half of the costume is to be commercially made/store bought). We are looking for YOUR work and creativity.
- Bring reference/background materials for the judges review even if the character is well-known.
- Attend the costume parade to win an award
Masters Judging Criteria:
- Evidence that the costume is homemade
- Attention to detail
- Overall Appearance
- Likeness to the Character
Journeyman – Any Age
Costumes from all types of media(books, comic books, video games, anime, movies, television, etc.) Mashups and original designs/characters are permitted. Costumes can be store bought, or made by someone else (such as a child’s costume made by an adult). Entrants are required to make/modify at least some of the costume. Closet Costumes (altered clothes or modified/adapted commercially made pieces) are encouraged.
Novice – Exhibition Only – Any age
Costume is any pre-made purchased or rented costume that has no major modifications, or any costume to be presented without being judged.
Baby Stroller/Wagon Costumes – Young children in a decorated stroller or wagon and a parent.
Parents can get creative with the baby stroller or wagon and join this division of the cosplay contest.
Masters Award – Chosen from the Masters’ category
Best Journeyman – Chosen from the Journeyman Entrants
Best Baby Stroller/Wagon – Chosen from the Baby Stroller/Wagon category
Best in Show – Anyone can win this
Fan Favorite – chosen by the fans
Other awards may be given out at the judges’discretion
Facebook Favorite – All participants will receive immortality on the web. Entrants are encouraged to tag their photo and get their friends to like and share! Winners will be determined on October 22.
Roger F. Bochek – Roger is a 1972 graduate of Menomonee Falls High School. In May 2018, he was inducted into the Menomonee Falls High School Hall of Fame in the fine arts category. His work has been seen in many area theatres including the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre, Great Lakes Opera, The Milwaukee Opera, Skylight Opera, Sunset Playhouse, Waukesha Civic Theatre and others. He is currently the Artistic Director of Falls Patio Players. If you would like to see some of his production credits be sure to visit About the Artists.
Sharon Sohner – Sharon is a retired Hamilton High School English and Drama teacher and has been involved with Waukesha Civic Theatre since the 1970s. She has designed costumes for many shows at Waukesha Civic Theatre, Sunset Playhouse, SummerStage of Delafield, Theatrical Tendencies, and several area high schools. She currently serves as Vice Chair of the Play Advisory Committee for Waukesha Civic Theatre and is responsible for overseeing the costume shoppe. If you would like to see some of her production credits be sure to visit About the Artists.
Beccky Molyneux – Beccky is the 2017 winner of Best in Show at the Falls Comic Fest Cosplay contest. She is currently a costume stitcher and dresser at Florentine Opera Company and has worked on production crew for Waukesha Civic Theatre and Skylight Music Theatre productions. See some of her production credits here and here.