To be prepared for school, young learners need a strong foundation of early literacy skills. Many studies show that children who start school with higher levels of these skills go on to have a greater academic success.
- Our Early Literacy collection encompasses board books, concept/alphabet books, big books, and an extensive collection of picture books. As the child gets older he or she can check out our graded readers and easy chapter books. Visit our catalog to see if your favorite book is available!
- Multi-media in the form of Playaway Bookpacks, and Playaway views are designed especially for the young/beginning reader.
- The library has two iPads available for use in the youth library. We have installed developmentally appropriate apps to the tablets to aid in the learning process of children ages 2-6.
Early Literacy Corner
We have developed an atmosphere where young learners can interact in an environment designed especially for them. The corner is filled with educational toys designed to promote de-coding and critical thinking skills and prepare the child for school. The activities help the learner identify letters, words and sounds. They build vocabulary and build language skills.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Menomonee Falls Public Library participates in the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program.
Many of our programs utilize the STEAM concept. STEAM, or Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics, have recently become important concepts in early childhood education to create solid foundations later in life. Below are some open-ended suggestions to solidify and build your child’s skills in these areas.
- Identifying colors
- Identifying, exploring, reading and learning about animals, bugs, dinosaurs, plants, nature and 0ther scientific concepts, such as space or the five senses
- Music and Learning About Sound
- Exploring and learning how to use technology
- Building with blocks or other materials
- Creating projects appropriate to the child’s age and skill level
- Practicing counting
- Making patterns
- Practicing simple addition and subtraction
- Identifying, creating and building with shapes
- Learning and understanding sorting concepts