The 1,000 Books before Kindergarten program is a free program that encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters school. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that provide a solid foundation, a key to school and learning success. Plus, sharing stories together is fun!
It is easy to participate!
- Read together.
- Write the titles on your Road to Reading log or get the app. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read to your child at library storytime, at daycare or by others also count!
- When you finish 50 books, bring your sheet to the library and collect your next Road to Reading log. Share your favorite books with your librarian.
- Repeat steps 1-3 and receive a different Road to Reading log at each level. Each log will include early literacy tips to help you share the love of reading with your child.
- When you read 300 and 600books, bring your sheets or your smart phone (with the app) into the library and receive a prize for reaching these milestones.
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child receives a book and a certificate, and gets an awesome jumpstart on success in school.
Take every chance you have to read with your children, tell and talk about stories, say nursery rhymes, sing songs, and attend library programs. By reading just three stories a day you and your child will have read over 1,000 books in one year. You will also have shared many special moments along the way. The library is a fun place featuring books to check out, free programs and great suggestions for what to read. Stop in often and talk to our friendly staff – we are here to help.
Please stop by the library or give us a call if you have any questions.