Am I eligible for a Library Card?

As a member of the Bridges Library System, the Menomonee Falls Public Library serves residents of Waukesha County and Jefferson County.

Most Wisconsin residents may apply for a free library card after presenting a valid picture ID and proof of current residence. Children under eighteen must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian presenting a valid picture ID and proof of current residence.

The following restrictions apply:

  • Village of Germantown residents are not presently eligible for a card.
  • Milwaukee County residents can purchase a non-resident card, which is $75 per patron per year.
  • If a parent’s card is blocked because of outstanding unreturned material, the material must be returned or the replacement cost paid before any minor in the household is issued a card.

A fee will be assessed to replace a lost or stolen card.

Students who are otherwise ineligible for a card, but attend school (grades K-12) in Menomonee Falls are eligible to apply for a card.

Village employees and their immediate family (spouse and children) who are otherwise ineligible for a card, may obtain a card. All children living at home may obtain a card, regardless of age. The employee’s Village ID and proof of current residence is required.

Retired Village staff members with 10 or more years of service are allowed to hold their cards for life, regardless of where they reside. This applies to the staff member only, not family members.

A business card may be issued to authorized employees of any industry, business, or professional service which occupies, owns or leases space in Menomonee Falls. Authorized employees must apply for a card. For details on applying for business cards, call Circulation at 262-532-8901.

How do I apply?

Please apply in person at the circulation desk in the main lobby. There is no charge for a library card, although a $1.00 fee is assessed to replace a lost card.

You can also apply for a temporary library card online which will grant you immediate access to our electronic resources, and finish up your registration in person at the Library.

Use of the Library Computers or Wi-Fi

Anyone who wishes to use the Library Computers or Wi-Fi must agree to the library’s Internet Appropriate Use Policy. Users must present their own Library Card to use the library-owned computers.

Internet Only Cards

Those who are not eligible for a library card, but wish to use the library’s Internet computers can apply for an Internet Only card. Presenting a valid photo ID and proof of current residence is required. The card is free, but a fee will be assessed to replace a lost or stolen card. The card is good through December of the year issued and may be renewed. A valid photo ID and proof of current residence is required to renew the card.

Library Records Privacy Law

Wisconsin Statutes Section 43.30 prohibits the release of records that identify an individual who uses a publically funded library only under limited circumstances. Release may be made only with the consent of the individual, or by order of a court, or to the custodial parent or guardian of a child under 16 years of age. The records covered include only that individual’s use of the library’s documents or other materials, resources or services. This includes any records of items currently checked out, due dates for those items, and any fines owned.

Any record that contains information about any other library users will not be disclosed.

Disclosure of information about children under the age of 16 will require documentary proof that the person making such a request is, indeed, the parent or guardian of the particular child and whether they have been denied periods of physical placement with the child under s. 767.27 (4).

A parent or guardian making a disclosure request under this provision should show a government agency-issued photo ID. In cases of divorced parents or guardians, a court order that includes the names of the children may be required for clarification.

A custodial parent/guardian form must be submitted. A decision against disclosure may be appealed to the Library Director and/or the Library Board.

See also: