The Maude Shunk Local History Room hosts a collection of historical materials from the Menomonee Falls area. Among the collections are photographs of the area, local church histories and cemetery listings, local histories about Menomonee Falls, Southwest Wisconsin and Milwaukee. There are genealogical materials available such as family trees, indexes and publications local to Menomonee Falls. The local history room also has copies of the Menomonee Falls High School Yearbooks. To see a list of our entire local history collection, visit our catalog.
The room is divided into sections:
- General non-fiction is a circulating collection comprised of materials in the Genealogy (929) and Wisconsin History (977.5xx) sections.
- Reference is a non-circulating collection comprised of Genealogy and History related reference materials.
- The Falls Collection is a non-circulating collection comprised of published books, monographs, serials, reports, studies, reference materials, fiction, videos/DVDs, biographies, and books by local authors. These items can be viewed one at a time by request.
- Non-fiction books and videos/DVDs represented include: history and historiography of Menomonee Falls; select materials from Waukesha County, Milwaukee County, and the state of Wisconsin that include information about Menomonee Falls; geography and ecology of the state; local history of area communities; governance and development of Menomonee Falls; local publishing imprints, and biographies of those instrumental in shaping the Village of Menomonee Falls and connected communities.
- Fiction collection includes a selection of books by local authors.
- The Maude Shunk Collection is a non-circulating collection that includes records that reflect the social, economic, and political development of Menomonee Falls and surrounding communities. May of these items have been digitized and are available on the computer located in the Local History Room. Original copies are kept in storage and cannot be checked out.
- These Items include unique materials, including but not limited to: photographs, scrapbooks, ledgers, manuscripts, select organization minutes; or may be copies of important information found in another repositories that is not easily accessible.
- In general, museum objects (with or without provenance) are not collected.
- Some of the materials in this collection were donated to the Menomonee Falls Historical Society. The library has been asked to be the caretaker of these materials.
Inside the Local History Room is a memory lab consisting of a computer and equipment to digitize your family memories. The memory lab includes a flat bed scanner for scanning documents, photos, negatives and slides. Equipment to convert VHS tapes to DVD will be installed soon..
Local History Room Hours and Access
The Maude Shunk Local History Room is open during normal library hours. Users do not need a Library Card to access the room. The reading room is wheelchair accessible. It is requested that users under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult who remains with the child for the entire research process.
Only Library Staff or approved Library Volunteers will be allowed access to the storage area. Staff will assist users with scanning or photocopying items located in storage. The user will be responsible for photocopy fees as set by the library.
Room Access Policy
- Only pencils may be used in the room. NO pens, markers, highlighters, or other writing utensils are allowed.
- NO FOOD OR DRINKS ARE ALLOWED IN THE LOCAL HISTORY ROOM.
- Computers or tablets, digital cameras, and research notes may be used.
- Staff will assist users with scanning or photocopying of any materials. The user will be responsible for photocopy fees as set by the library.
- Only one (1) item/box is allowed at the research table at any time.
- Users do not need a Library Card to access the room.
- Users under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a responsible adult who remains with the child for the entire research process.
- Only Library Staff or approved Library Volunteers will be allowed access to the storage area that holds the Maude Shunk Collection.
Select Genealogy and History Resources
The following lists of resources were compiled by our Business Manager, Ellen Rohr. She is also a genealogist and teaches classes at the library. She is able to provide genealogy help on a limited basis. If you have a question she can help you with you can phone 262-532-8930 or email email@example.com.
- Ancestry Library Edition (Free within Menomonee Falls Library)
- FamilySearch (Free to anyone)
- Fold3 ($$$ subscription)
- Ancestry ($$$ subscription monthly, semi-annual, annual)
Other Websites with Digital Collections
- HeritageQuest Online (Free in Wisconsin)
- Wayback Machine (Free to anyone)
- Archives.com ($$$ Subscription)
- Google Books (Some Free) Books and some Periodicals
- The National Archives (Free) Access to Archival Records
- Wisconsin Blue Books (Free)
- Find A Grave (Free, user submitted)
- The USGenWeb Project (Free, volunteer coordinators)
- BillionGraves (Free, newer)
- Interment.net (Free, updated sporadically)
- International Jewish Cemetery Project (Free)
- Online Cemetery and Burial Indexes from Deathindexes.com (Free)
- GenealogyBank ($$$ subscription)
- Elephind (Free)
- Chronicling America (Free)
- New York Times Article Archive 1851-Present ($$$ Small Fee)
U.S. Government Sites
- Bureau of Land Management (Free)
- Library of Congress (Free)
- The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (Free)
- National Veteran Gravesite Locator
- Other Military Databases by War
- The National Archives: Military Records
Maps and Atlases
Immigration and Travel
- CastleGarden (Free)
- The Statue of Liberty – Ellis Island Foundation (Free)
- Immigrant Ship Transcribers Guild (Free)
- National Archives of the UK (Free)
Photos and Family Trees (besides Ancestry and FamilySearch)
- Deathindexes.com (Free)
- Found in Wisconsin (Free)
- Digital Public Library of America (Free)
- Cyndi’s List (Free)
- WorldCat (Free)
- Google (Free)
- WisCat (Free) Many Items available through Inter-Library Loan
- University of Wisconsin Digital Collections (Free)
- Recollection Wisconsin (Free)
- Wisconsin Historical Society (Free online, in library and checkout)
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
- NUCMC National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (Free)
Social Media (Blogs, Facebook, Twitter)
- Check social media for Fold3, Familysearch.org and Ancestry.com